Friday, November 11, 2011

Two Kinds of Cake at Once

I recently bought a cake pan set that helps you create a checkered cake. It came with 3 shallow 9" round cake pans and an insert that you fill with two different kinds of cake batters to create this checkered effect.

Strawberry and Rainbow Chip Checkered Cake

Excuse the messiness on the bottom of the cake carrier. I traveled with the cake, and apparently I don't drive very smoothly and it shifted on the way, hah.

It was fairly easy to make this checkered effect, but it was messy! It was difficult to get the two different cake batters into each of the portioned sections of the cake pan insert.


The cake was frosted with a mix of homemade whip cream and rainbow chip frosting. Store bought frosting is too sweet at times, so I like to either make my own frosting from scratch or mix freshly made whip cream with some frosting.

Whip Cream

The recipe I used for the whip cream:
1 cup of whipping/heavy cream
1 teaspoon of powder sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

I decrease the amount of sugar because after I make the whip cream, I add in about half a cup of the store bought frosting. The result is a lighter, creamier frosting that isn't sickly sweet.


Can't make up your mind? Now you can have two kinds of cake in one!

No comments:

Post a Comment