Sunday, October 2, 2011

Leftover white rice?

I tend to always make extra steamed white rice just to have leftover white rice the next day to make fried rice. Fried rice is one of the easiest and quickest things to make. You are not limited to what you want to put in the fried rice. In this case, I chose to include eggs, Chinese sausage, zucchini, and baby bella mushrooms.


One of the most important tips in making fried rice is that you want to have "old" cold white rice for it. Using freshly steamed rice will cause the dish to be soggy because of the extra moisture in the warm rice. It must be cold to prevent extra stickiness and sogginess. Also, most people think the reason why fried rice is brown is because it's "fried." Well it's technically stir-fried and not fried in the same terms like fried chicken or french fries, and the nice brown color in fried rice is from adding soy sauce as your cooking it.

In this dish, first I scrambled some eggs using butter (I know butter is unhealthy, but I like how it makes the eggs fluffy) and salt to taste, cooking until it's a bit underdone since it'll be added back into the rice. I remove the eggs and then saute the zucchini and mushrooms with some salt and pepper until they're tender. Next I crisp up the Chinese sausage a bit so I can use some of the grease that melts off to stir-fry the rice. I remove the sausage and add the rice. Add a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce at a time until you reach the flavor you want. Sometimes I add a bit of pepper and salt if I don't want too much of a soy sauce flavor. This step really depends on what you prefer. After the rice is stir-fried, add everything back in and combine. That's it! Quick and easy...and you don't have to spend money on take-out anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment