Sunday, September 18, 2011

My First Descaling

This post is about a couple weeks late...I really need to stop slacking and publish posts immediately. My lame excuse is that I didn't have time to edit the pictures. Anyways, better late than never, right?

I've been so busy this past week with traveling for a friend's wedding shower, spending almost 6 hours at the ER with a friend the night/morning I got back into town, and research research research. I haven't had much sleep, or any healthy, homemade food. I've been slacking horribly this week and getting takeout way too much for my liking. So time to cook something homemade!

I bought some fresh salmon yesterday. Isn't it a beauty?!


It was a pretty large fillet of salmon (longer than a foot), so I ended up cutting it into 5 single servings...and to my horror, I realized that the skin on the salmon still had the scales. Yikes!! I've never descaled a fish for the fact that I typically get filleted and skinless fish because I'm LAZY. I guess there's a first for everything though. I took the challenged and dived head first, or I guess knife first at the scales. It was sooooo worth it! The salmon came out really tasty. I kept it pretty basic and just used the seasonings I already had in my pantry, lemon pepper salt mix, a little extra black pepper, and some parsley; and some olive oil in a hot nonstick skillet was used to cook it.


The salmon had a perfect sear, and the skin was nice and crispy. It reminded me of those salmon skin sushi rolls many Japanese sushi restaurants serve.


I served the salmon with some wild mushroom herb couscous (from a box, please don't tell anyone!). As you can see, I took a bit of the salmon before I remembered to take a picture of it, oops!


What's your favorite way to prepare salmon?

No comments:

Post a Comment